Recently I’ve been posting a series of articles covering the different features and options available to Airtel Kenya prepaid customers. The articles mostly share tips to help subscribers get more out of their lines. I wrote articles on how to borrow from Kopa, load airtime to a line, check ones phone number among others. In this post, I am going to show you how to check if your Airtel Kenya SIM card is 4G enabled or not. All my other Airtel articles can be found in this category. Be sure to check the posts in the category once you are done reading this post.
To check if your Airtel Kenya SIM card is 4G enabled
- Dial *544#
- Go to the next page on the menu by entering *
- Select option 11) Check if your SIM card or Phone is 4G enabled
- Select option 1) Is My SIM card 4G enabled?
- Wait for a text message from Airtel with your SIM’s 4G status details
If your SIM card is not 4G enabled, you will get a message that reads as follows: Dear Customer, your SIM Card is NOT 4G enabled. Visit the nearest Airtel shop for a SIM upgrade. Join the 4G family.
Remember that you can also get a 4G enabled SIM card then use the ‘Self SIM Upgrade’ option which can be found by:
- dialing *100#
- selecting option 3. Manage My Account
- and selecting option 2. Self SIM Upgrade to begin the process – moving your phone number / Airtel line from 3G to 4G. If you don’t want to go through all these yourself, just visit an Airtel Kenya shop near you.
Note that you can also check if your SIM is 4G enabled using the *100# USSD shortcode.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. When you click on something I recommend and purchase it, I will receive a commission for the sale – at no extra cost to you.
- Dial *100#
- Select option 4. Buy Bundles & Services
- Enter the letter n to go to the next page on the menu
- Select option 10. Check if your SIM card or Phone is 4G enabled
- Select option 1. Is My SIM card 4G enabled?
Checking if the phone carrying your Airtel Kenya SIM card is 4G enabled
What if your SIM card is 4G enabled but you are not sure whether the device you are using it on supports 4G or not? What do you do when you can’t easily tell if the device you’re holding supports 4G?
Well Airtel makes it easy for their subscribers to find this info.
All it takes is:
0- Browse products by brand: Tecno, Infinix, Samsung, Huawei, Annov, HP, Garnier, Apple, Android, Ramtons, LG, Oppo, Redmi / Xiaomi, Nokia, X-tigi, iTel, Zuku, DStv, Startimes, GOtv, ZTE, Cubot, Gionee, Realme, Lenovo, Motorola, Oukitel, Oneplus, Bruhm, Phillips, Umidigi, Hisense, GLD, Skyworth, Amazon, Mika, Vivo, Oraimo, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Syinix, Sayona, Von Hotpoint, Ampex, Sony, Toyota & Honda on Jumia Kenya.
- dialing *544#
- going to the next page on the menu by entering *
- selecting option 11) Check if your SIM card or Phone is 4G enabled
- selecting option 2) Is My Phone 4G enabled?
Waiting for a text message from Airtel with your device’s 4G details.
If your device is not 4G enabled, you’ll get a message that looks like this one: Dear Customer, your phone is NOT 4G enabled. Visit the nearest Airtel shop to buy a 4G enabled device. Join the 4G family.
You can use this to check the 4G status of any phone, smartphone or tablet you are using your Airtel line on.
2- Browse latest TVs, fridges, microwaves, dispensers, cookers, furniture, kitchenware, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, headphones, earphones / headsets, phone cases, chargers, MiFi routers, bluetooth speakers on Jumia.
Unlocked MiFi routers on Jumia Kenya: supports Safaricom, Airtel & Telkom Kenya (2G, 3G and 4G)
If you are using Airtel Kenya internet on a laptop or desktop computer, you can either get a 4G capable router (e.g. the white Airtel MiFi E5573 4G LTE Portable WiFi Hotspot Router sold online on Jumia Kenya for 6000 Kenya Shillings) or just use your smartphone as a mobile hotspot any time you want to browse the web on a bigger screen.
Another device I saw online on Jumia that I wanted to bring to your attention is the Huawei 4G MiFi Internet Router that supports all networks. It is white and costs KSh 8,600 (or KSh 6,799 when discounted at 21%).
1- Browse latest clothes, shoes, baby fashion, kid’s fashion, women’s fashion & men’s fashion, electronics, feature phones, smartphones, laptops, tablets, power banks, memory cards, smart watches, on Jumia.
It supports the following:
- Safaricom 4G, 3G and 2G
- Airtel Kenya 4G, 3G and 2G
- Telkom Kenya 4G, 3G and 2G